To achieve success in life & career, you need to always stay positive & take proper & well-educated decisions. With the advent of sophisticated electronic gadgets, people of all ages have started to depend upon it completely. Moreover, these gadgets are also easily available at the market & at throwaway prices. At the workplace, you are likely to be work on your computer, smartphone, tablet, and other electronic gadgets. The truth is that technology has evolved with time & has currently become part of our personal & work lives. Hence, it is essential to understand the negative effects of technology on your health & mental state.
Related Post: How Can Technology Reduce Workplace Stress?
You can find technology everywhere and hence, cannot escape it. Also not using it will also mean you will face a setback in your career & personal life. Simply put, life is unimaginable without adapting to technology these days. All companies across diverse industries, across the globe, have already embraced or by adopting modern technology. But employees are noticed to experience serious negative effects of technology at work.
What is the impact of technology on employees?
- Addiction to gadgets: You may be using your smartphone at work for various purposes. It can be to check emails, make & receive calls, browse through official sites, and for other reasons. With time, you develop the habit to check your phone continuously, as you get a ring or beep. Those addicted to electronic gadgets are found to have very high gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABBA) levels. This chemical tends to slow down your brain’s signal & is linked with various brain functions, motor control & vision.
Also Read: 10 Qualities of an Effective Team Player
- Main reason for distraction: You are likely to receive multiple emails & notifications every now & then. You may also have several web pages open at the same time on your desktop or smartphone screen. They can become serious distractions at times and not allow you to focus on your work properly. According to health experts, people tend to compensate for interruptions experienced by working much faster. This only leads to their feeling frustrated, pressurized & stressed out at work. They also agree that long term increased distractions result in the brain to develop a chemical imbalance. This causes anxiety & fatigue & is regarded to be a major impact of technology on employees.
- Impact of technology on employees & employment: Automation has already caused serious job loss across the globe. With more companies adopting modern technology, more jobs are likely to be lost in the near future. Experts consider automation to be the biggest existential threat to humanity. People across diverse industries like manufacturing, finance & automotive, etc. face an insecure future. Machine learning, AI & advanced technology require employees to upgrade their expertise & skills to stay employable.
Unseen impact of technology on employees at work
There are a few reasons cited for companies & people to not depend upon technology for communication.
- Lacking ‘real connection’. It is vital for managers & leaders to stay connected with their employees all the time at various levels. Manager-employee relation is associated with the employee’s engagement at work. Communicating through gadgets will only affect this relationship. This is one of the several negative effects of technology that should not be overlooked.
- Employees might not feel engaged with but only talked to. If gadgets are used for team communication, then there can be a lack of questioning, tone, body language & effective discussion. This will result in superficial exchange, which in turn, affects employees’ engagement level.
- Young people are found to be comfortable in practicing text-based conversations. But this also means they lose their ability to converse spontaneously. For organizational success, there is required face-to-face conversation, especially for managerial & leadership roles.
Hence, it is essential to understand the negative effects of technology at work on employees & address the issue immediately.