High-quality eyeglasses are a major investment. Moreover, people spend a lot of time and effort in buying glasses online, in order to find a right glasses that really suits people’s face shape, optical needs, and personality. So, you must do everything in your power to make them last as long as possible.
While glasses are much more user-friendly compared to lenses, they are not completely maintenance-free. Hence, you must use the tips mentioned below to properly care for your prescription glasses.
Tips to maintain prescription glasses
Regular cleaning of lenses
Cleaning your glasses regularly is the best way to keep them feeling fresh and clean, but to also maintain healthy vision. The simple tips and tricks will prevent your frames from wearing over time, while also enhancing the longevity of your lenses. To clean your lenses, you should do the following:
- Wash and dry your hands. Clean your hands of any dirt, debris, or any other matter that may get transferred to your lenses while you clean them.
- Gently rinse your glasses under lukewarm water. It gets rid of any dust and debris that may potentially scratch your lenses during the cleaning process.
- Apply a solution to each lens. If your dish soap is particularly concentrated, add a drop of mild dishwashing liquid to the tips of your fingers instead. Avoid dishwashing liquid with lotion as it can leave a residue on your lenses.
- Gently rub. Make sure to reach into all the nooks and crevices, and wash the nose pads and earpieces off of any excess oil and debris. Also, wipe both sides of each lens.
- Rinse your glasses thoroughly. One cannot stress enough on this. Since cleaning solutions have chemicals that leave a residue, you must thoroughly rinse the lenses and frame to not leave any soap behind as this can leave smudges on your lenses.
- Shake off excess water and dry with a micro-fiber cloth. A micro-fiber cloth is absolutely soft and ensures that the wiping process does not leave any scratches as you dry your glasses.
Special lens cleaners are also available in the market and are very effective in cleaning lenses and ensuring longevity. They can be found at any local eyewear store.
Use the method that works best for you, but avoid cleaning your glasses with tissues, paper towels, or the sleeve of your t-shirt as these materials are extremely abrasive and can leave microscopic scratches on your lenses that may fog up your lenses over time.
Handle With Care
Eyeglasses are made from high-quality materials. However, they are still prone to damage if not handled appropriately. One must avoid wearing glasses on top of their head or taking them off with one hand as it can misalign the frame.
When you are not wearing your stylish glasses, you must store them in the spectacle case given to you during purchase. Refrain from putting them in a bag or purse without proper protection.
Have them serviced by an authorized eyewear store
Your glasses may bend out of shape over time due to normal use, or the lenses may have water stains that do not go away with regular wiping. Hence, you may need to have them serviced by an authorized eyewear store periodically.
If you can, let your glasses air dry as often as possible. It is another great way to keep any materials from getting onto your lens or permanently scratching them.
A firm grip
Hold your frames by gripping the part that crosses the bridge of the nose. It will prevent accidentally bending the frame while you clean. Bent glasses can negatively affect the way you see through your glasses and misalign your vision. Also, if your frame gets bent out of shape, It will surely feel uncomfortable.
Never lay your glasses lens down. It is just asking for scratched lenses. So, always place your glasses either by folding the temples and resting the glasses on them. You may also keep the temples open and rest the glasses on the table if you will wear them soon.
So, follow these amazing tips, and we are sure you will never want to leave your super clean glasses behind.