Every entrepreneur aspires to make it big in the domain and satisfy the needs of customers. But this is possible only if you run your business efficiently and make all your employees carry out their roles and responsibilities on time and with great effort. You may be interested to know how to calculate workplace productivity. The results will help you to know how your business is progressing and identify those areas which need immediate improvement.
Tips to measure workplace productivity
- Establish a baseline: Set up a few baseline metrics first to help measure against. For each position, identify anticipated work outputs from each employee. Applying productivity metrics can be easy for some work profiles assigned to specific tasks. But how to apply similar metrics to general roles like administration staff and receptionist can be less clear. Set clear expectations for every role to offer greater clarity.
- Measure & define tasks: Try to define measurements that are relevant to the profile’s key functions or make use of broader measures. It should include the number of orders & invoices dispatched, sales calls attended, customers are served, etc. In a few cases, group output can be measured easily.
- Client survey: Your customers are likely to be impacted significantly due to poor employee performance. Conducting client surveys will help you to derive valuable feedback as well as to rectify the wrongs and provide further instructions to the concerned employee to do better. Also, it helps to identify outstanding performance, which you can praise & reward.
- Set clear goals & objectives: Regular performance reviews of employees can help evaluate workplace productivity and progress made by the different departments.
- Value on work quality: A key indicator to measure employee performance is task completion within a specified time while delivering high standard results. Monitoring work quantity and quality, it is possible to address employee shortcomings with suitable training & mentoring programs.
- Monitor toxic triplets: An essential component to measure employee performance is to monitor absenteeism. The employee may work exceptionally well, but takes lots of holidays due to sickness arising from work stress. Performance is affected significantly by presenteeism. It should be addressed to although placing value to it can be tough. Sick employees attending duty are likely to have a negative impact on overall productivity. They are likely to affect other employees also.
Also Read: Five Important Business Environment for You!
Enhanced workplace productivity is crucial to achieving success in any business. Employees are undoubtedly one of the most important pillars for all businesses. Therefore, you need to understand employee engagement as well as manage change.