During these troubled times and the slowing economy, it has become important for all companies, small and big to curtail expenses. Cost reduction should be kept a priority and should not be ignored. Following the given below Cost Saving Sustainability Ideas can help your company to sustain and make profits.
Related Post: Proven Ways to Cut Costs & Lower Your Business Expenses
12 sustainable ideas for businesses
- Energy bills: Check your monthly energy consumption and understand the invoice properly. Find out ways and means to reduce energy costs. Cooling, heating and lighting are considered to be the three major energy consuming areas in any office. You need to identify the operations and equipment that uses maximum energy. Determine effective ways to reduce energy usage without impacting negatively your business.
- Switch-off campaign: You can implement this campaign if you receive increased monthly energy bills. Workers and employees should be educated about their role to help reduce energy consumption. It is among the most followed cost reduction ideas workplace by companies across the globe. Provide clear instructions for all employees to follow with regards to using energy-consuming appliances and switching off lights. Promote energy-saving culture at the workplace.
- Charge appliances overnight: In case you enjoy a time-of-use plan, then energy cost during the night will be much cheaper when compared to daytime. If the need arises to charge appliances and heating units that need charging, then do it overnight. Look for other cost saving ideas for the workplace to reduce energy usage during peak office hours.
- Label switches: You can label switches thereby ensuring that they are not turned on unnecessarily. Also, appliances not in use can be turned off without much trouble.
- Perform an energy audit: A good number of energy suppliers are known to offer their customers free energy audits. You can request one with your provider. Also, hire a separate auditor to get accurate measures. Analyze results carefully. Find out Cost Saving Sustainability Ideas that can be implemented without much investment. For expensive solutions, make proper plans.
- Install energy-efficient appliances: You should invest in LED, CFL light bulbs rather than energy-devouring, low-cost bulbs. It helps save precious energy and money. Moreover, CFL tends to use just 25% of energy.
- Use natural light efficiently: Make good use of natural light coming into your office space. Keep open curtains and blinds whenever possible. Also, install light dimmers to compensate for varying natural light levels within the room. This is one of the sustainable ideas for businesses that you should follow.
- Over-lighting: Educate your employees on the room’s correct lighting level. Insufficient light will only hamper employee productivity, while over-lighting is likely to result in glare, eye strain and headaches. Remove all unnecessary lights.
- Install occupancy-sensor lighting: You can install occupancy or motion sensor lighting or in bathrooms, conference rooms, warehouses, storage cupboards and other areas. But these areas should be less used ones
- Install solar panels: This is one of the popularly availed cost reduction ideas workplace can use. Solar energy is termed to be a free energy source, is clean and renewable. Although it involves some initial substantial investment, it helps reduce energy costs.
- Keep closed doors/windows while running HVAC: It is another popular cost saving ideas for the workplace. Keeping open windows and doors will only result in the cooling/heating equipment consuming lots of energy. Also, check out for unwanted leaks.
- Use hibernation mode: Your computer, microwave, air conditioner, printer and other appliances consume energy. Placing them on hibernation mode will help consume less energy.
You need to consider different Cost Saving Sustainability Ideas and implement them in your business to save precious money.