A slab leak is considered to be such a problem that almost every homeowner hates it. In this case, a lot of the problems occur with the foundation of the house. If you come across such a particular issue, then it is costly to repair.
In the below-mentioned section, you will get the most important information regarding a slab leak and the best ways in which you can suspect the particular issue.
Before you get emergency service for slab leak Repair near Encinitas, you should read this article well to get a brief idea about this.
About A Slab Leak
A slab leak is a leak that is developed in the case of the water pipes. This issue is more common in pipes which are made up of copper. You will commonly observe a slab leak below the concrete foundation of your house.
The slab in your house is generally the concrete floor of your basement on which the rest of your house is built. In a vast majority of the cases, the water lines are located below the slab. But, you will observe that the water lines are embedded in the slab itself in some of the buildings.
But, if you neglect slab leaks, then it can contribute to causing more severe problems in the future such as bad odors, high water bills, foundation and wall cracks, uneven floors, low water pressure, etc.
To prevent such a particular issue, you should focus on scheduling regular plumbing maintenance at least once a year.
Different Causes Of Slab Leaks
This is considered to be the most common cause of slab leaks. Poor quality or improperly installed pipes are responsible for the slab leaks.
If you observe that your water pipes are dented, bent or kinked during the installation process, then the affected areas could cause leakage in the pipes. There are chances that the pipe can even burst. Copper pipes are more prone to corrosion.
Water pressure is not the only type of pressure that can contribute to causing a slab leak. If shifting is seen in the soil specifically under your foundation, then it could cause a slight movement in your house and thereby putting intense pressure on the pipes.
Some of the main causes of this include:
- Soil erosion
- An underground stream
- An earthquake
Slab leaks are also caused by abrasion and corrosion. In this regard, specifically, the hot water pipes are at a higher risk of abrasion as they expand as well as contract with the increase and decrease of temperature.
This pipe movement specifically against the surrounding soil, concrete and rocks can create leaks.
Important Signs To Suspect A Slab Leak
You can check any of these signs mentioned here for suspecting a slab leak in your house:
- Hot areas present on the floor
- Presence of mold under the carpet or flooring
- Damp spots on the carpet and floor
- Higher and abnormal electricity and water bills
- Low water pressure in the sink and shower
- Running water sound even if the water is off
- Unusually high water bills and also high readings specifically from the water meter
- Soggy spots near the foundation of your house
In case, you observe any of these signs, then it does not indicates that you have a slab leak. But, there are huge chances of a slab leak.
So, if you see any of these signs, then you should call a professional service that will check this out for you. Leaving a slab leak along could contribute to causing irreversible damage to your house.
Things To Do If You Suspect A Slab Leak
Below are mentioned some of the most important things which you should do, if you suspect the occurrence of a slab leak in your house:
- The first and the most important thing is to call a professional as soon as possible. They usually have the expertise to locate the leak. Not only that, but they also focus on providing you with the best course of action.
- This could be either a simple fix with the help of epoxy filling in the leak or it could specifically call for a re-piping of your house.
- If you come across this particular issue, then you should get more information about the emergency slab leak repair service near Fullerton without any delay. By acting quickly, you would be able to successfully save your house from significant damage.
Not only that, but it saves your family from expenses in the long run. All that you need is to opt for a professional service for discussing the plumbing issues of your house.
So, the above-discussed ones are considered to be some of the best things which you can do if you suspect a slab leak in your house.
Aimee is a marketing manager at EZ Plumbing & Restoration. She loves to write about Slab leak repair, Water Damage Repair, Water Heater Repair, AC & Appliance Installation and about Leak Detection.