It takes a lot to impress a customer than just having a good product. Packaging improves the product’s visual appeal, as well as its first impression to a customer. Think about it: whenever people open a gift, recipients are filled with excitement as they unbox the items—the extra element of surprise increases the ‘value’ and appreciation of the present they’ve received.
The same scenario and experience apply to customers, as good packaging improves their shopping experience and perception of a brand. With the rise of e-commerce and home delivery of goods, brands will have both an opportunity and a challenge to leverage on their packaging.
Related Post: How Important Is Packaging In Any Business?
That said, below are some of the reasons packaging is important in any business:
1. Creates A Point Of Distinction From Others
Unless your business involves the supply of water or other public goods, it’s likely that there are plenty of other products in the market that’s similar to yours. Packaging provides a platform in which your product can stand out with its unique name, brand colors, and the materials used for the packaging itself.
In most cases, customers are indifferent when shopping in malls, stores, and online stores, so creative or special packaging can increase the chances of your product being selected.
2. Packaging Is A Marketing Tool
Marketing and advertising consist of one of the biggest costs in any business operation. The materials used to package goods can be used to send marketing messages at negligible costs. A good massage also sends positive signals to clients about the quality of the product.
Below are two ways packaging can be used for marketing:
- Special Messages– When businesses are offering special discounts, anniversary celebrations, or are participating in festivities, packaging offers a perfect opportunity to print out special messages that can entice buyers to pick their product among others of the same kind. This is at a reduced cost, and can improve their reach, thereby complementing other marketing efforts.
- Company Logo And Slogan– Packaging is also one of the effective ways a company can promote their business slogan, logo, and brand colors. Depending on how you package your product, this may sit for a long period in a customer’s home or business premises, creating an extended window for your brand to get noticed.
3. Customers Prefer Eco-Friendly Packaging
Consumers are always on the lookout for brands that conserve and protect the environment. With increased awareness about the environment, people readily reject products that are packaged with materials that increase their carbon footprint or are not biodegradable.
Also Read: Top Startups that Are Changing Social Media
Businesses can make conscious decisions to use environmentally-friendly materials. It’s advisable to partner with packaging companies like Stanley Packaging or other reputable companies that use environmentally-friendly materials to make reusable packaging solutions.
Some superior brands use packaging materials that can be used for other purposes like storing cereals, stationery, and other items. The recycling or reuse of such materials not only reduces the degradation or the negative impact on the environment, but this may sometimes be the determining factor whether or not a customer would purchase your products.
4. Good Packaging Can Tilt Purchase Decision To Your Favor
Self-service stores line up similar goods from different manufactures in one row or column. Merchandisers normally have an uphill task to convince customers to buy through discounts and activation campaigns.
Good packaging can improve manufacturer chances in the following ways:
- The Color Used– Each color conveys a particular message. White, for instance, displays simplicity and purity. Pink, on the other hand, displays playfulness and femininity. If used on female products, the chances of them being bought increases tremendously.
- Product Information- Some products come with information like the direction of use, size, expiry date, or ingredients. Businesses should use packaging to display all necessary information that customers should take note of. Complete and easy-to-spot product information is an important factor for buyers, especially if they’re looking for a specific feature.
5. Inclusion Of A Personal Touch
Personalization improves the perceived value of a product and can be used to derive loyalty from customers. With information technology, businesses can send personal messages to customers via packaging.
In cases where customers have purchased premium items, a business can include a personalized thank you note in their packaging. Such a gesture can go a long way in cementing the business relationship with your clients.
6. Reduces The Cost Of Doing Business
Good packaging is made up of strong materials that can protect the product, which allows the business to avoid costs associated with breakages during transportation or delivery. Businesses that sell delicate items like household items can also invest in quality packaging to reduce returned goods.
A business should also be concerned about the packaging used to avoid huge storage costs. The packaging should be designed in a way that utilizes the warehouse economically.
Packaging presents an opportunity for brands to display creativity and uniqueness in the market. In a highly competitive arena, businesses can play with colors and packaging material to increase the perceived value of the product. This can go a long way in influencing customers to your favor.
Businesses with small budgets can reach out to customers by printing marketing messages and product information on packaging materials.